Monday, January 27, 2014

Owen

Once when we were a baby, we all probably had a pacifier. And as we grew up, we left the pacifier, and may have moved on to some other object. For example, some kids may still hold onto their baby blankets, a stuffed animal, the bottle, etc. But there comes a time in life when you have to leave the baby phase and grow into an adult. It may be difficult for them, but it will help them grow and mature in the future. In the book Owen by Kevin Henkes, he teaches the reader that you have to grow up.

Owen is a mouse, who is very attached to his blanket, Fuzzy. He takes it everywhere he goes, but his parents and neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, don't approve of this. They try everything in their power to get Owen to let go of Fuzzy; to grow up, but nothing worked. All they want Owen to do is grow out of carrying it everywhere he goes. I think Owen won't let go of Fuzzy because he feels as if it's his only friend (because he named it). It may also be because it's another type of "pacifier", one that makes him feel secure. Just when Owen's parents were about to give up, his mother came up with a crazy idea of cutting Fuzzy into handkerchiefs. From this, it made it much more suitable for a growing boy, like Owen, to carry around wherever he goes. This broke the phase for Owen, stating that he eventually grew out of the blanket.

I think this is important to me and you because we've all probably went through an event where we wouldn't give something up. For me, it was a stuffed animal dog that I carried with me everywhere I went. It was hard for me to stop bringing it everywhere because since I was shy, it made me confident and not feel alone. It is probably important to you, the reader, as well because you've probably also experienced it or witnessed how hard it is to pass through into adulthood. From this, I hope that you saw the difficulty of what it was like to leave something behind, and maybe help out a baby/young person let go of something to grow and mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment